From: Isobel Clark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 10:47 AM
To: Edward Isaaks
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ai-geostats] Re: Kriging Small Blocks

Ed

I would differ from your explanation on one point.

If you are merely declaring a mineral resource, i.e.
mineral in the ground, then the conditional bias may
not be relevant at the "pre feasibility" stage.

However, as soon as you introduce any economic or
technical parameters which entail selection, the
conditional bias makes its appearance.

In every project I have worked on, from
pre-feasibility onwards, I have been asked for a
grade/tonnage calculation - no matter how hand-waving
it may be. The grade/tonnage curve will be affected by
the conditional bias. By how much has to be assessed
at the time. Most of Chapter 3 in Practical
Geostatistics 1979 is devoted to working out what the
(theoretical) global grade tonnage curve looks like
when you adjust for the variance reduction. Even this
will differ from the curve derived from the kriged
estimates, no matter what size the block.

The problem is even greater for environmental
applications, especially toxic level risks. A 'global
view' - i.e. a map - will not identify the true peaks
because of the conditional bias. The fact that the
overall average is unbiassed is irrelevant when trying
to identify an area which is likely to be lethal.

So, there is no contradiction. Conditional bias is
unimportant (or irrelevant) until you apply some
selection criterion. Yes, we agree. However, selection
criteria can be relevant at very early stages of a
project. It depends on your objective.

Isobel
http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/practica.htm for
free downloads of Practical Geostatistics 1979

PS: sorry I mis-spelled your name, I know it drives me
nuts when people call me 'Clarke' ;-)