From: Edzer J. Pebesma [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:19 PM
To: Noemi Barabas
Cc: oscar garcia; ai-geostats@unil.ch
Subject: Re: [ai-geostats] Kriging along streams

Noemi, the idea of transforming to a one-dimensional situation,
distance along river, was the first one I got. Then, I rejected
it because it will not work for river networks; it will for a
single sections without joints though. Space-time modelling may
be complicated by the fact that there will be a strong
correlation with future observations downstream, but not with
observations upstream because water flows down; this may call
for another translation of space-time using flow speed to get
to a space-time coordinate system where the usual models make
sense.
--
Edzer

Noemi Barabas wrote:
> Dear Oscar,
>
> It sounds like you need kriging in a single dimension.  If so, I think
what
> you need to do is a kind of coordinate transformation, for example using
> river mile as your distance vector.  You would also need to pay attention
> the dates of the samples.  Variation in time might obscure spatial trends
> along the river's course if you just have a few sampling events at
different
> times for the stations.
>
> If you have data in space as well as time, there are several methods for
> space-time interpolation.  Constructing correlograms for data vs time on
> paired stations could give you an idea of what constitutes a data pair for
> kriging purposes in terms of the time lag between them.  Methods will
differ
> depending on whether it is the time or space dimension that is more
densely
> sampled.
>
> References on techniques include the following:
>
> For straightening rivers (which might be more involved than you need):
>
> Barabas, N., Goovaerts, P. and P. Adriaens. 2001. Geostatistical
assessment
> and validation of uncertainty for three-dimensional dioxin data from
> sediments in an estuarine river. Environmental Science & Technology,
35(16):
> 3294-3301.
>
> For space-time data:
>
> Pebesma and de Kwaadsteniet (1997) Mapping spatial and temporal variation
of
> groundwater quality in the Netherlands.  In GeoENVI - Geostatistics for
> Environmental Applications, eds., Soares et al, pp. 139-151.  Kluwer
> Academic Publishers, Netherlands.
>
> Kyriakidis and Journel (1999) Geostatistical space-time models: A review.
> Mathematical Geology (not sure which volume etc.)
>
> Heuvelink et al (1996) Spatio-temporal kriging of soil water content. In
> Geostatistics Wollongong '96, eds Baafi and Schofield. pp. 1020-1030.
> Kluwer Academic Publishers,Netherlands.
>

> Noémi

the body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Edzer