Hello list,

Here is the 'trick' I came across in diffusion studies, which might not not
fully satisfy the pure  mathematicians in the list, but I can see the
picture, so I like it. This goes as follows :-

Start with the standard statement that the  integral from minus to plus
infinity of e raised to power -1/2((x-m)^2)/(s^2)  dx = ssqrt(2p)
First step substitute y = (x-m)/s into the above relationship.

Now we want to show that A= (is equivalent to) the transformed integral
from minus infinity to plus infinity of e raised to the power -1/2 y^2 dy =
sqrt(2p)
If we consider A^2, then we can write this as the product of two integrals
of the above form, one in x and the other in y. This is then combined as
the double integral (with the same limits)  of  e raised to the power -1
/2(x^2 +y^2) dx dy. This double integral is the volume under the bell
shaped surface e^(-1/2(x^2 + y^2)).

Now x^2 + y^2 = the square of the distance of point x, y from the origin,
denote this by r^2. The area of a ring, distance r from the origin, and
width dr, = 2prdr.

The volume of a cylindrical shell with this annulus as its  base, and with
height,  e^(-1/2(r^2)), so that it just touches the bell shaped surface is
(e^(-1/2(r^2))) 2prdr

Therefore A^2 = 2p times the  integral from zero to infinity of  (r times
e^(-1/2(r^2)) dr . On integration this gives A^2 = 2p[-e^(-1/2(r^2))]
evaluated from zero to infinity. Substituting  in for the limits -  gives
when inifinity (or try a large number) is substituted for r,  the
expression yields zero, when zero is substituted for r, then the expression
yields minus 1, which is subtracted from the upper limit, so it becomes
plus 1,  giving A^2 = 2p. We wanted to find A, so we take the square root
of this giving,  A = sqrt(2p).

Sorry I didn't have the symbolic representation, but if you write it out it
you should be able to folllow the above line of reasoning.

In some versions of the above  'trick' you might see that they define the
'square' base area with co-ordinates x and y, but then replace x & y more
formally with polar co-ordinates r and q giving  x = r cos q and y = r sin
q, They then replace the element of area (dx, dy) by (r dr dq), and the
range of integration has to be altered from the square OABC (O = origin, C
= distance along x axis, A = distance along y axis, B = opposite corner to
O) to the quadrant OAC, which results in an error denoted by e. This is the
space between the  outer 'box' and the curve joining x (C) and y (A).  In
this case the limits of integration are :- outer limit  from 0 to R, inner
limit from 0 to p/2. The expression to be evaluated changes to
(e^(- r^2))r dr dq, plus the error term  e. The volume represented by e has
a base area which is less than 1/2 R^2, and a maximum height of exp (-
R^2). Thus

e < 1/2 R^2 exp( - R^2),   thus as R goes to infinity, e goes to 0. This
might  satisfy Digby?

Thus A^2 = 1/4p - 1/4 p exp(- R^2) + e

Therefore, as  R  goes to infinity, A^2 goes to 1/4p. In this latter case
the algebra had been simplified at the start by removing the normalising
factor,  2/(sqrt(p)), which is used to make  erf ( inifinity ) = 1.

I hope this helps.

John Butler

Gerald van den Boogaart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 20/12/2005 09:54:17

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]