Hello,

It is indeed correct that as for simple cokriging, the standardized OCK
requires knowledge of the population means for both primary and
secondary variables, and as I mentioned in my book p. 232 "Provided the
data are representative of the study area, these means can be estimated
from the sample means". Of course, we could also account for the uncertainty
attached to those samples means.. but the same can be said regarding the
uncertainty attached to the parameters of the semivariogram model...

The main reason ordinary kriging is used instead of simple kriging is
its ability to accommodate changes in the mean across the study area
(what I called global trend in my book) through the use of local
search windows. The interesting fact for standardized OCK is that,
even if a global mean is used in the standardization, local means
are still re-estimated within each search window thanks to the
unbiasedness constraint. The main assumption however is that after
rescaling by their global means both primary and secondary variables
have the same local mean, see Goovaerts (1997, 1998). For me, this
might be the main weakness/limitation of the approach. As always,
cross-validation is a good way to compare the prediction performances
of the different estimators.

Pierre

Pierre Goovaerts
Chief Scientist at BioMedware