Raimon

I might have got this wrong but I understood that Sebastiano was going to standardise each layer separately -- to its own mean and standard deviation -- so as to use data from all layers to construct a standardised semi-variogram. This could then be used on all layers, in 3D, using a constrained search so that only samples from the same layer are used in the kriging.

In short, he believes that the spatial continuity is the same in each layer, but the mean and variability change. Your thought on this was the same as my initial thoughts.

Isobel
http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark

Raimon Tolosana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Sebastiano,

first, I'd like to ask what do you mean when you say that you'll
"conduct interpolation along layers". If you mean that you will
interpolate within a layer using only the data in that layer, then let
me insist that then you MUST obtain the same results either using the
standardized or the original variable. Otherwise, ordinary kriging
wouldn't deserve the BLU character! In details, we probably agree in the
first sentence of each of these two paragraphs:

1.- OK gives the same results if conducted with the variogram than if
conducted with the equivalent correlogram, because the OK weights do not
depend on the value of the sill of the variogram. This implies that you
can multiply your data by a constat (e.g., the inverse of the standard
deviation), and divide the results by the same constant, and nothing
will change

2.- the kriging weights do not depend on the data values themselves, but
on the variogram. The experimental variogram of the data set does not
change if one adds or substracts a constant from the data set (e.g., its
mean), because it is computed with differences of data pairs (which
cancel the constant effect). Therefore, you can add a constant to your
data set, perform OK on the modified data set, and subtract the constant
from the kriging result, and again nothing will change.

I suspect that the only advantadge of standardizing by layers is that
you can get an (apparently) better estimate of the variogram, because
you will have less variance for each lag distance. And I say
"apparently", because this variogram will strongly depend on your
variance estimates for each layer, which we will agree that do not have
their nice properties in the presence of spatial correlation.

I don't like to be a party pooper... :-( So, after trying to spoil
your joy, let me ask what about applying a logarithm, if the data are
positive? and we may follow the discussion prompted by Gregoire ;-)

Raimon

En/na sebastiano trevisani ha escrit:

+