Can you help ? Or does anybody know any (accessible) references on
Sichel's t ?

Thanks, Peter

31 December 2006 01:07:24
From:           Isobel Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

(...)
>Sichel expanded on this by showing that estimates of mu and sigma
>calculated from the logarithm of the samples may be substituted for mu
>and sigma in the above equation. If you have enough samples (more than
>40) this will provide a better estimator for the lognormal mean. Better
>means: maximum likelihood, more efficient, 'closer to reality', with
>narrower confidence bounds. These bounds will not be symmetrical, as in
>the Normal or CLT case. No amount of sampling is sufficient to make that
>happen.
>
>If you have less than 40 samples, the above formula gives a biassed
>estimate (and confidence bounds). Sichel provided tables to correct this
>bias and calculate the confidence bounds. If you do not have access to
>Sichel or Finney's work, you might find my 1987 SAIMM paper useful. It
>can be downloaded by following the publications link at [
>http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/resume
>]http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/resume
(...)

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."

+