Hi

If you have many data (as I guess you have, given the way in which you collected the data)
you can code the data by means of an indicator approach (as reported by Bob)
and apply a moving windows approach to calculate inside each window the proportion (well, it is like a probability of occurrence) of each category. Then you can chose to attribuite to the center
of the windows (i.e. your grid node) the category with the maximum probability.
Well, this work only if you have many data compared to the resolution you need.
If you have not many data the indicator kriging approach seems a good idea.
Another choice is to use a transition probability methodology.
Bye
Sebastiano