Dear Gregoire,

I just recently read your original question. I've not read all the replies since, so I hope what I say is not redundant or repetitive.

The phenomenon you are seeing is due to the smoothing effect of kriging. This effect increases with geographic distance of estimates from observations. If you partition validation estimates by estimation variance, you will find an increasing correlation between observed and estimated values with decreasing estimation variance. Estimates for points beyond the variogram range will be uncorrelated with observed values, and therefore residuals and original values will be negatively correlated. This is illustrated and discussed in "Geostaistics and Pet. Geol." pg. 103 (2nd Ed.) or pg. 128 (1st ed.)

Now, did I understand your question?

Mike

Michael E. Hohn,
Director and State Geologist
West Virginia Geological and Economic Survey
1 Mont Chateau Rd.
Morgantown, WV 26508-8079

Tel. 304-594-2331
Fax. 304-594-2575