Dear All,
Greetings from the National Eyeway Helpdesk!'

1. News-

First ever blind football game to be held in Goa from Sep 2

Panaji, Aug 31 (UNI) Indian Blind Football Federation and Society for
Rehabilitation of the Visually Challenged (SRVC) will be conducting the
first-ever blind football demo game in Goa with an aim to introduce the
game and to encourage blind footballers to take up the game and form a
state side in the future.
The Goan chapter of National Association for the Blind along with FC Goa
and Chowgule Sports Center is organizing the demo game on of September 2 at
the Futsal Arena at the Chowgule Sports Center in Gogol, Margao.
Source:
http://www.uniindia.com/first-ever-blind-football-game-to-be-held-in-goa-from-sep-2/sports/news/976359.html

 Panjab University polls 2017: Not blind to equal rights, says
visually-impaired vice-presidential candidate.

We are not blind to equal rights,” says the 21-year-old vice-presidential
candidate of All India Students’ Association (AISA) at Post Graduate
Government College, Sector 11.

Badri Prasad, who is 100% visually challenged, will be contesting the
student council elections at his college on September 7, the same day as
Panjab University and its all 11 affiliated colleges in the city go to the
polls. “Representation of disabled students is an issue,” says Badri. “We
are always sidelined. By contesting the elections, I want to tell the
students that we too have equal rights.”

Badri had lost his eyesight at the age of two after he suffered from
chicken pox. A resident of Chhoti Karoran in Mohali, he is a second-year BA
student. His subjects are Hindi, music and political science.

*‘Fighting for full fee waiver’*

“There are nine visually challenged students in the college,” said Badri.
“When we took admission here, we realised we need representation. So we all
decided to fight for our rights.” Badri said Panjab University charges no
fee from visually challenged students, but the college took full fee from
such students when he took admission in 2016.

“We joined AISA and struggled for lower fee. Now we pay half the fee,” says
Badri. “We will work further for full fee waiver.” At present, only those
visually impaired students get full waiver who are below poverty line.
Source:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/panjab-university-polls-2017-not-blind-to-equal-rights-says-visually-impaired-vice-presidential-candidate/story-xoZ8XiBKdRJiW8fWEC8APO.html

 2. Event-

National Abilympics Association of India (NAAI) organizes Regional,
National Abilympics, and facilitates participation in International
Abilympics. NAAI is in its 15th year of existence. During this period the
Abilympics movement has spread throughout the country and has helped
increase awareness about the abilities of disabled people in society.

The aim of NAAI is to provide a supporting environment for blooming talent
in the area of vocational skills of Persons with Disability (PwD). At the
forefront of NAAI’s motivation is assistance to disabled individuals in
gaining economic independence to enable them to identify themselves as
valuable, fully integrated members of society. To achieve this objective
the PwD participants specially youth between the age group of 18-30 years,
will be provided trainings under different skill sets by our Trainers which
will help build necessary skills and help them get employment. Detailed
information about NAAI can be found on the website (
http://www.abilympicsindia.org/)

As a first initiative, NAAI will be organizing *a one-day base assessment
camp for Persons with Disability candidates from North Zone (Delhi/NCR,
Haryana, Punjab, J & K, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand and Uttar
Pradesh), from 11th to 13th September, 2017 at the AIMS Learning Centre,
B-5, 1st Floor, Gurudwara Road, Madhu Vihar*, *Patparganj, New Delhi,
between 10.00 am to 4.30 pm, under* *Computer related skills (ICT
categories). *The regional events will most probably be held either in
January or February, 2018.  We will be confirming the dates for the same
once they get finalized. NAAI Website: http://www.abilympicsindia.org

Enquiries: i...@abilympicsindia.org

Skill assessment camp date: 11th September, 2017; between 9.30 am to 5.00
pm

Venue: AIMS LEARNING CENTER: EAST DELHI : B-5, 1st Floor, Gurudwara Road,
Madhu Vihar,  Patparganj, New Delhi -110092.   Ph: 011-41561501/2501

Organised By: National Abilympic Association of India & Sarthak Educational
Trust. Participants are requested to bring their 2 PP size photos,
photocopies of their qualification certificates (10th, 12, Graduation,
etc.) and their disability certificate for registration.

--
Geeta S. Nair
Research and Communication Officer