I'm working on reducing my code into something I can share. My system is
actually a bit more complicated than I've explained. I'm using remote
actors with other actors that coordinator everything and other actors that
track offsets. I suppose I'm trying to understand how Akka allocates thread
time to actors. The first streamer actor takes time to get up to full
streaming speed, so maybe this affects the akka calculation?

What kind of JVM monitoring are you referring to? I've used YourKit, but it
didn't notice anything unusual.