I don't know if this answers your question but this is what I did:

I just used a normal specs2 test with TestKit
In order to test full cycle I used

  "com.github.michaelpisula" %% "akka-persistence-inmemory" %
"0.1-SNAPSHOT" % "test"

which requires

akka.persistence.journal.plugin = "akka.persistence.journal.inmem"

in my test application.conf

Then to test recovery I subclassed my eventsourced processor so that I
could send it a "class object Bomb" which would make it throw an exception.
Running it from a supervisor with default restart values and the supervisor
restarted it and replayed the events nicely keeping the ActorRef valid. I
used inmem because it makes the tests easily repeatable without worrying
about deleting old journal records.