When I override preStart in any way other than invoking super.preStart() my
actor is unable to receive any kind of message. It seems to be stashing
messages, but never delivering them. The only way I can work around this is
by leaving preStart as defaulted, and using the mode variables
recoveryRunning or receoveryFinished. (Or I can send Recover myself.)

I found this:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/akka-user/EBV0pLttClk/oP_wixqFSw8J

By this this it seems to me that the documentation probably requires
clarification. In the docs I get the impression that you never need to
recover an actor, but from the above link it appears that a Processor must
always receive a Recover message from something. Further, it seems that the
only way to avoid recovering a given actor is to ignore all messages until
receoveryFinished is true.