I'd love to hear the answer to this too!
I've solved the problem by injecting actorRefs but it does seem to lose the
point of actor supervision.
The other technique I've tried in one spot is to use the TestActorRef to
get the underlyingActor and then set the actorRef on that. This means that
actor construction can do things normally - and then I override it.

Cheers,
Edward