Hello Anil,
The size of the cluster does not really influence this, but downing it's
members and partitions do.

In theory this problem can appear always when there is a "split brain"
partition, meaning: when 2 clusters are formed - this is what happens in
the above example.
It would also happen if we replace the above problem with a partition that
would force the cluster to form 2 separate clusters - ergo, again 2 cluster
singletons would be running.
Auto downing is the primary suspect in causing these unexpectedly, but
there are other scenarios (I just imagined a horrible edge case of
"partition between seed nodes during cluster starting"...).

In general simply not using auto-downing with the cluster singleton will
keep you out of trouble.

You could also set the akka.cluster.min-nr-of-members = N, where N is the
number of your *N*odes (3), so a restarted-lonely-partitioned-seedNode
won't decide to become a cluster on it's own.
This is described here
http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/snapshot/scala/cluster-usage.html#How_To_Startup_when_Cluster_Size_Reachedand
it will make sure that the cluster won't "Up" members,
until all members have joined - this will save us from spinning up the
cluster singleton too early (and if a partition happens, you can.

I personally think the ClusterSingleton is a nice tool, but it may seem a
little bit* too tempting* to use and forget about the problematic cases.
I've added some docs explaining this problem:
https://github.com/akka/akka/commit/08fd4c93faac2d2aa625458090978723717a1864but
I just noticed this is only on the master branch, thus it's not in the
published 2.3.3 docs (will fix this for 2.3.4).

Konrad 'ktoso' Malawski
hAkker - Typesafe, Inc

<http://scaladays.org>