I sometimes run into cases where I instantiate a child actor ,then
subsequently ask that child with a message, only to discover that the ask
became dead letter due to the child not  been initialized yet. I guess my
mistake is to apply a synchronous mindset instead of realizing that the
child actor creation happens asynchronously, and I could avoid this by
passing in a constructor parameter to the child instance instead.

Or should the usage of ask be minimized whenever possible, since an
important implicit part of the ask contract is the expectation that you
will receive a response within a given time interval (something which
really an async architecture cannot guarantee anyway)?

Is ask something that should only be used at the boundary between the
synchronous world and the asynchronous actor world, eg in handling http
requests?