Hi Ahmet,
Remote DeathWatch should trigger Terminated() messages even in case of
killing the other JVM.
In case of jvm / network failure, there’s a Failure Detector (with a
timeout) that will eventually kick in and send Terminated messages, this is
explained in detail in Remoting - watching remote actors
<http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/snapshot/scala/remoting.html#watching-remote-actors>
.

I have replicated your scenario right now (using 2.3.1 and 2.3.0), using
the cluster activator template and “works for me”, even when i SIGKILL the
other JVM.

You should get the Terminated message after a few seconds when the failure
detector kicks in (depends on settings, defaults to 10s), are you waiting
long enough before declaring it does not get Terminated?

Could you provide a small sample app to showcase the problem you're facing?
​

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Ahmet Sevki <ah...@nalch.com> wrote:

> I forgot: Actor B in this case runs akka 2.3.0
> Actor A is within a play system that runs play 2.3.1, and is running an
> akka 2.3.0 version of remote(libraryDependencies += "com.typesafe.akka" %%
> "akka-remote" % "2.3.0")
>

>>  --

Konrad 'ktoso' Malawski
hAkker @ Typesafe