Hello Martin,
yeah, that looks like what I had in mind.

And yeah, translating to/from proto is always a bit of verboseness
somewhere, here's how we try to minimise the verboseness (serializer impl):
https://github.com/akka/akka/blob/release-2.3/akka-persistence/src/main/scala/akka/persistence/serialization/MessageSerializer.scala#L51

Sadly, the serializers that are slick and nice to work with, don't usually
have versioning/evolution built in from what I see available...
Kryo is fast and using it is great, but no versioning / anything built in
=> no-go for this use case (IMO at least).

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Martin Simons <mar...@lunikon.net> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 24. Juli 2014 11:51:57 UTC+2 schrieb Konrad Malawski:
>

>> I know I’ve just grown your to-read list by quite a bit, but I hope this
>> helps! :-)
>>

> Glad you did ;-)
>
> I at least skimmed all the articles you posted and decided that Protobuf
> is probably the most common thing to use. I went on to hack together a
> small example project, trying to keep the amount of boilerplate code per
> class as low as possible as it will be required for each and every event
> and state class that might be added in the future. No matter how one does
> it, it will always look more or less messy when translating Protobuf Java
> objects to Scala case classes, I'm afraid.
>
> The result of my humble attempts can be found here:
> https://github.com/lunikon/akka-persistence-serialization The code is
> still a mess, obviously, but do you see a general problem with this
> approach (the approach being that one defines an "adapter" for every case
> class and registers it with a static registry which is then used by the
> Akka Serializer implementation)?

Konrad 'ktoso' Malawski
hAkker @ Typesafe

<http://typesafe.com>