I have problem that involves synchronising outbound messages from a parent
actor and its child actor. This particular problem is with regards to
forwarding failure messages to clients.

Here is the example:

I have a service actor that receives a request from a client actor*.*

The service actor creates a new child transaction actor to deal with said
request, which then response directly to the client actor after performing
the work.

If the transaction actor fails, it is stopped by the service actor which
then sends a failure report to the client actor.

The problem is the client actor must now support receiving failures after
receiving the response it is actually interested in - otherwise the
potential 'post-workload' failures from the transaction actor may
deadletter, or worse, be misinterpreted by the client actor (i.e. a failure
for a subsequent transaction).

I have considered an approach whereby the client actor must wait for the
transaction
actor to terminate before safely continuing, since after that point, it can
be guaranteed that no more messages will be received.

Is there a common solution to this problem?