I noticed performance issues when using Akka IO to create tcp and udp
servers (the application is a game server).  High cpu usage and just
overall poor performance.  Being somewhat familiar with Netty I put in a
plain netty version, and performance increased dramatically.

I didn't take the time to find out exactly what was going on, as in my case
Akka IO was just an extra layer anyways and going straight to Netty seemed
like the right long term approach.  Best way to debug this kind of thing in
my experience is just load up VisualVM and start looking at the app under
load.  That coupled with a few thread dumps, and you should find the source
of problem without too much effort.

Chris