A bit off topic, but I hope the Typesafe gurus are ahead of us on this....
:-)

Has anyone ever thought of a UNIX "shell" build on the Scala REPL which has
akka on the backend?

As we are moving to distributed clusters, it seems to me that a UNIX shell
with the REPL and maybe the Akka microkernel behind it, would allow me to
write "Akka style scripts" in AkkaScript (Scala DSL?) and connect multiple
machines across an Akka cluster.  Something like Erlang and the BEAM VM.....

Literally, you could run Akka programs under the Akka shell, or Akka script
and connect to the cluster where multiple programs/scripts would use the
actors space underneath it all to pass messages back and forth.

It seems to me we're almost there.   We have clustering, we have the Scala
DSLs, we have Akka.   We'd need routers to server "name servers" for zone
space, and we'd need lots of Akka/scalal libraries for System tasks but you
could write a distributed, actor-aware shell.

Thoughts?