> You're right. If you want to keep all data in Kafka without ever deleting
> them, you'd need to add partitions dynamically (which is currently possible
> with APIs that back the CLI). On the other hand, using Kafka this way is
> the wrong approach IMO. If you really need to keep the full event history,
> keep old events on HDFS or wherever and only the more recent ones in Kafka
> (where a full replay must first read from HDFS and then from Kafka) or use
> a journal plugin that is explicitly designed for long-term event storage.

That was worrying me all the time with using Kafka in a situation where I
would want to keep the events all the time (or at least unknown amount of
time). The thing that seemed nice is that I would have journal/event store
and pub-sub solution implemented in one technology - basically I want to go
around current limitation of PersistentView. I wanted to use Kafka topic
and replay all events from the topic to dynamically added read models in my
cluster. Maybe in this situation I should stick to distributed
publish-subscribe in cluster for current event-sending and Cassandra as
journal/snapshot store. I did not read that much about Cassandra and the
way it stores data so I do not know if reading all events would be easy.

The main reason why I developed the Kafka plugin was to integrate my Akka
> applications in unified log processing architectures as descibed in Jay
> Kreps' excellent article
> <http://engineering.linkedin.com/distributed-systems/log-what-every-software-engineer-should-know-about-real-time-datas-unifying>.
>
> Also mentioned in this article is a snapshotting strategy that fits typical
> retention times in Kafka.

Thanks for the link.

The most interesting next Kafka plugin feature for me to develop is an HDFS
> integration for long-term event storage (and full event history replay).
> WDYT?

That would be interesting feature - certainly would make akka + Kafka
combination viable for more use cases.