I thought I read/heard somewhere that Pickling is aiming to become the
default serialization mechanism in Scala, but I cannot find any proof (like
a SIP) for it (yet).

Integrating Pickling in Spark is currently work in progress:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/sbt-dev/7IpZrq79oz0/UunWL0GLYjsJ (see
Heather Millers posts)

-Jeroen