Hi Björn,
Thanks for getting back to us!

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 6:11 AM, Björn Antonsson <
bjorn.antons...@typesafe.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> The UID in question is the UID of the remote actor system that is trying
> to connect in to this actor system. It will only be changed on a complete
> restart of the actor system.

Just to make sure we are using the same terminology,

referring to the "Actor LifeCycle" diagram in

http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.3.7/java/untyped-actors.html

- a restart of an actor, creating a new "instance", will *not* change the
UID
- a Stop or PoisonPill of an actor, followed by an ActorOf(), resulting in
a new actor "incarnation",
*will* change the UID

Those two scenarios are separate in my mind from a restart of the entire
actor system. Is this is accord with your view?

If so, in order to avoid the XXX code path, by making the UID equality
false, we could consider creating a new incarnation of the actor on the
remote system. Since this happens to be an important actor in our app
(Paxos leader), we would have to consider all the repercussions of doing
that.

The other alternative in terms of making the UID equality false would be to
avoid having the local actor system having the remote system's UID stored
in its endpoint database. At this point I do not know enough about the
remoting to understand why it has this UID stored in the first place, given
that the whole JVM was restarted.

> Which branch did you build exactly? The latest stable bugfix branch is
> release-2.3.
>

>From github, for akka,  when I do a 'git log', the version I have is

commit 1312ca61396d2f4e4bb38318bca333e6ec6b62d8
Merge: a570872 6e6f92f