Hi Jim, thanks for the help ...

Have you followed all of the instructions for interacting with remote
actors here: http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.3.9/scala/remoting.html ?
I follow this because I'm using the Java version of the API:
http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.2.5/java/remoting.html
and them the updated (more/better info)
http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.3.9/java/remoting.html

Note that I have the same behavior from 3 different pc (Windows and Linux)
and with different patch levels on JDK 7 (but all recent), so it's
something related to code ...

Just for info, my project is made with Gradle 2.3, so to try it its' enough
to checkout with git, and run it with Gradle (if already installed, or its
wrapper will download it), and all dependencies are downloaded at first
run, I made it to make it simple for anyone to run/try it.

> From the error it appears to me that:
> 1. You are attempting to create a remote actor from a peer

yes, but I didn't read for problems with it in documentation ...

2. This peer isn't able to properly interact with [akka.tcp://
> RemoteActorSystem-Client@127.0.0.1:55003]

yes but from the error/warning message it's not clear what is the real
problem ...

> Are you using a Remote or Clustered ActorRefProviders on both nodes?

no, I'm using normal  akka.remote.RemoteActorRefProvider

Is your remote transport properly configured to run on those ports?  Is it
> starting properly? Is your networking configured to allow access to those
> ports (software firewalls on a node have burned me in the past).

yes, I see that the related port is open, with an OS diagnostic tool

> Does the RemoteActorSystem-Client AS exist on that port, or is some other
> AS running there?

nothing special is running

> There's a lot to look at, but it ought to work once everything is wired
> properly.

yes, but all seems ok, so really I think it's a problem in my code

> Maybe look for a working example (from Activator) and then adapt the
> working thing to your needs?

maybe this is a good option, but my sample here is even to try to use Akka
from a (little) different point of view (and tools like Gradle) ... maybe
even Akka documentation could be improved, at least to better explain some
pitfalls on exposing actors with remoting  ... just as a suggestion for
Akka team.
One of goals for my test project is even to share/improve some knowledge on
using Akka from other tools (mainly the Groovy/Gradle/Grails stack) with
others :-) .

Thanks a lot for the help.
Sandro