You could check out an open source chat application (both front and back
end) I am working on in my spare time to get practice with and demo akka,
including akka-cluster, persistence, sharding, http, streams, and
(eventually) websockets. The code base is still quite small and not all the
pieces are in place, even so it is a working app; it would be a great
opportunity for learning the application of the various akka technologies.

As more people get involved with the project, it will also benefit other
developers who are getting up to speed with the akka toolkit.

If this is of interest, then hopefully the README is enough to get
oriented, but feel free to ask questions.

https://github.com/ezoerner/scalable-chat

good luck,
Eric