I recently ran into a pretty surprising behavior in akka serialization --
if your parent class does *not* inherit from java.io.Serializable, akka
will choose arbitrarily between the two! This "feature" is documented
<http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/snapshot/scala/serialization.html> but it's
pretty odd, and definitely not what I would expect as a user.

A much more reasonable behavior seems like it would be always picking a
user defined serializer if appropriate and falling back on Serializable
only if no user defined serializers match. It's very counterintuitive that
to _disable_ the java serializers, you must inherit from them. The random
choice behavior seems like the right thing to do if two user defined
serializers both apply.

Thoughts?

Russell