On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Jeroen Rosenberg <
jeroen.rosenb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>   }
>
>   val buff = Flow[ByteString].buffer(1000, OverflowStrategy.backpressure)
>
>   val slowFlow = Flow[ByteString].mapAsync(1) { x => after(20 millis,
> context.system.scheduler)(Future.successful(x)) }
>
>   val consumer = Flow[HttpResponse].map {
>     data =>
>       FlowGraph.closed() { implicit b =>
>         import FlowGraph.Implicits._
>         data.entity.dataBytes ~> slowFlow ~> buff ~> Sink.ignore
>       }.run()
>   }
>
>   override def receive: Receive = {
>     case query: String =>
>       val req = HttpRequest(GET, "http://localhost:6000/api";)
>         .withHeaders(
>           Connection("Keep-Alive")
>         )
>       Source.single(req).via(client).via(consumer).to(Sink.onComplete {
>         case Success(_) => println("Success!")
>         case Failure(e) => println(s"Error: $e")
>       }).run()
>   }
>
> Because of 'slowFlow', I can see that my server 'slows down the stream'
> (i.e. less throughput for this connected client). So, great!
>
> However, I wanted to handle the flow processing in another Actor, so I
> used ActorPublisher and pipe the stream to it, using akka.pattern.pipe:
>
> class Client(processor: ActorRef) extends Actor {
>
>   override def receive: Receive = {
>     case query: String =>
>       val req = HttpRequest(GET, endpoint)
>         .withHeaders(
>           `Accept-Encoding`(gzip),
>           Connection("Keep-Alive")
>         ) ~> authorize
>       Source.single(req).via(client).runWith(Sink.head) pipeTo self
>     case response: HttpResponse =>
>       response.entity.dataBytes.map { dataByte =>
>          processor ! dataByte
>       }.to(Sink.ignore).run()
>   }
> }
>
> class StreamProcessor extends ActorPublisher[ByteString] with Actor {
>   override def receive: Actor.Receive = {
>     case data: ByteString =>
>       if (isActive && totalDemand > 0)
>         onNext(data)
>   }
> }

> // elsewhere I'm consuming this publisher
>

> val src = Source(ActorPublisher[ByteString](streamProcessor))
>
> FlowGraph.closed() { implicit b =>
>     import FlowGraph.Implicits._
>
>     val decompress = Flow[ByteString].map {
>            data => gunzip(data.toArray)
>     }
>
>     val buff = Flow[ByteString].buffer(1000, OverflowStrategy.backpressure)
>      val slowFlow = Flow[ByteString].mapAsync(1) { x => after(20 millis,
> context.system.scheduler)(Future.successful(x)) }
>
>     src ~> slowFlow ~> buff ~> Sink.ignore
> }.run()
>

> This works fine, however in StreamProcessor (the ActorPublisher) it seems
> if I'm getting more data then I demand the only thing I can do is drop the
> messages. Can I apply backpressure here to the sender / upstream?

Then you have to use ordinary actor messages to implement your own flow
control, but it would be better if you could stay within the streams domain
and let it handle the backpressure.

By the way, lets say that you wanted something like you here implemented
with the StreamProcessor ActorPublisher that is dropping messages if there
is no demand from downstream. Then you can instead use Source.actorRef (see
api docs).

/Patrik

> Thnx for any pointers!
>

>  --