Hi all,

I have another thread about retrofitting wandoulabs websockets to use
akka-io, which is proving painful, but I wanted to separate out this aspect
of the questioning.

Before I invest any more time into it, I'd like to know if the new
websockets implementation actually implements backpressure on the server
and client side, for both reading and writing from the socket (there are
four channels requiring backpressure in a single client/server connection).

Even if the implementation has backpressure at the IO level, it looks like
the only way to create a Flow from an Actor is via Sink.actorRef (plus some
other magic with Sources and the DSL that I haven't figured out yet) ...
and that explicitly says in the documentation

   "there is no back-pressure signal from the destination actor, i.e. if
the actor is not consuming the messages fast enough the mailbox of the
actor will grow"

which means that passing off to an actor backend to implement the
websockets server is ultimately not going to have any backpressure when
reading off the socket.

I don't know what the situation is for writing to the socket, but certainly
this is something that my current backend library is able to handle.

So is this reactive, or what?

Best regards,
Sam