I read in Akka's documentation that when using cluster singleton one should
avoid using automatic downing. I don't understand how should downing be
configured in that case. I understand that I may subscribe to cluster
membership events and plan my strategy according to those messages.
However, I don't understand how practically it will be different from
automatic downing.

When a node is somehow partitioned from the cluster, if automatic downing
is used, the partitioned node will "think" that the entire cluster went
missing and start a cluster of its own (with its own singleton). But, on
the other hand, I can't keep unreachable nodes in unreachable state forever
because the cluster won't reach convergence (new nodes won't be able to
join) and if the partitioned node is the singleton itself a new singleton
node won't be assigned and therefor, according to my understanding, the
only thing that is left to do is to remove unreachable nodes after some
grace time which is exactly what automatic downing does.

What do I miss here?

p.s

Also posted at stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30575174/how-to-configure-downing-in-akka-cluster-when-a-singleton-is-present