Jumping in a bit late, but one comment:

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Guido Medina <oxyg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do agree with Luis, but I wasn't pushing much that approach because
> AFAIK you are new to Akka and you have only one server, the concept of
> sharding and Akka persistence can be overwhelming at first

Honestly, I think you're overstating the complexity of sharding.  Having
recently moved from my home-brew machinery for doing all this stuff to
using Cluster Sharding, my code got *enormously* simpler.  Really, I was
kind of startled by how easy it is to use.

Yes, there's a lot going on behind the scenes.  But for a simple
application, you don't need to worry about it.  So long as you have a clean
identifier for your target Actors and a way to extract the target Actor's
identifier from your messages, it takes next to no time to implement a
system based on Cluster Sharding, and you can just let it deal with all the
annoying stuff like when to construct the Actors, finding the target Actor
you're looking for, passivation and so on.

Really, for the described game I'd go for Cluster Sharding in a heartbeat.
It's the easiest way to build it, and it means that you *can* cluster it
later if you decide you want to, with relatively little effort...