Http has not been performance tuned yet, but we plan to do so after 1.0
(which is around 2 weeks away or so).

I'd suggest starting out with Spray currently, and then doing the move to
Akka Http should not be painful at all, since the routing DSLs are very
similar and most of the directives are direct ports (except the additional
features like websockets and streams which Akka Http introduced).