Hi,

AFAIK the cluster client uses normal actor messaging from the client to the
cluster client to the distr-pub-sub to the final destination. No magic
knowledge in the cluster client that allows for direct communication.

As you probably won’t have 1000s of REST-nodes, I would make these part of the
cluster.
Are you aware of cluster roles? That way you could designate some nodes for
“rest" and others for something like “backend” and get something sort of two
sub-clusters.

BTW, what’s a sync message? In Akka all communication is async.

Heiko

--

Heiko Seeberger
Home: heikoseeberger.de <http://heikoseeberger.de/>