Hi Eax,
I think that re-using an implementation (Kamon for example) for the collection
of data is a good first step,
you'll want to avoid re-inventing the wheel there (and the horrible pains of
weaving instrumentation into the codebase manually ;-)).

Perhaps it's possible to re-use Kamon's infrastructure more directly, without
going through statsd?
You could ask on their mailing list for some hints I guess.

Best idea a have so far is to use Kamon and implement my own StatsD
server which would aggregate top N actors. BTW I'm not sure if Kamon
handles stash() properly.
Stash is like a separate buffer, it is not the mailbox size, thus it should not
be reported directly as something in the mailbox, report it separately I'd say.

-- Konrad