I too find myself wanting log.trace(), and don't see a reason not to
introduce it.

When trace logging is enabled one doesn't expect fantastic performance, but
the insights that a deeper-than-debug level of logging might provide.

My use-case is that I want to see all the metric data that is being
reported by my application to new relic, not just how many metrics, as the
debug level currently provides.

see
https://github.com/kamon-io/Kamon/blob/master/kamon-newrelic/src/main/scala/kamon/newrelic/MetricReporter.scala#L59

Only trace should provide this level of detail.

I would expect any framework that wraps a logging implementation should
provide this functionality, it is essential. Why not make it easy for your
users and provide the Slf4jLoggingAdapter complete with trace?