Hi there,
we recently implemented the needed internal infrastructure for timeouts to be
implemented efficiently,
however have not yet wired up the Http / TCP level idleTimeout option to
actually do it, the ticket covering it is:
https://github.com/akka/akka/issues/16597

So it's a simple setting `idleTimeout` which does the think you're asking for,
however it's not yet released.
The mentioned infrastructure to implement these features is already merged and
will be part of 1.1 (soon):
https://github.com/akka/akka/pull/18467

Konrad 'ktoso’ Malawski
Akka @ Typesafe