Hi Richard,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Richard Grossman <richie...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank Roland
>
> My question wasn't targeting any commercial or miscommunication issue but
> more a lack of basic information.
> We've been adopter to akka from the beginning using the standard actor
> model as described.
> As system architect in my company I'm confronted to make now a very
> difficult choice.
> We rewrite the same application and we need to decide to or not go with
> akka stream if not stream it's mean to stick with normal actor model.

If you are uncertain, you should just stick with actors for now. Akka HTTP,
although uses streams to express some concepts are easy to integrate with
actors -- so you don't need to use streaming directly if you don't want to.
I personally think the danger is usually overusing streams with new
projects, so you can safely stick for actors for now, and grow into streams
as necessary. I firmly believe their use cases become more natural as you
build your application, and it will be easy to grow their use step by step
instead of all in once.

> It's very difficult to us to evaluate if we're going to succeed or fail
> with akka-stream as we can't find what type of use case is intended to.

Streams simplify the development of actor systems is:
 - the use-case fits the streaming model, i.e. you were already thinking in
a processing pipeline or layered architecture even when you imagined it
doing it with actors. Streams are generally better in expressing processing
steps and not a good fit when you have instead a web of domain operations.
 - you need backpressure. Akka Streams handle it for you and implementing
correct backpressure is a daunting task with plain actors.

> As system architect it's difficult to explain why we should go or not go
> with Stream with all the consequences (e.g. dev team to learn an entire new
> technology (not easy task)).

I would say, go with plain actors if you are comfortable with that one.
Streams is an auxiliary, helper technology it is not fundamentally
necessary to be used. As it is a new technology I expect more and more
patterns to emerge in the long term, helping these decisions. You don't
need to jump on it right away.

-Endre