Hi Daniel,

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Daniel Armak <danar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Konrad,
>
> Your answer doesn't match the one Endre gave. Can quarantine happen if the
> cluster, remote actor creation, and remote death watch are *not* used?

No, it does not contradict it. Cluster does have a more fine-grained
approach where there is an Unreachable state which is recoverable. Yes,
Quarantine does happen in cluster, things that have been removed cannot
come back.

> I'm asking because I'm considering using akka-remoting as a point-to-point
> RPC layer, in a codebase that doesn't use actors, where the Cluster would
> be inappropriate.

Quarantine basically exists to prevent inconsistent state where actors on
the other system are reported dead and then would suddenly come back after
a network split. Instead the system is isolated as soon as it has been
considered dead. If you don't use deathwach or remote deployment there
won't be Quarantine. That said, even if you use above features you can set
a very lenient failure detector. For example if your system Quarantines the
other one after 1 hour of heartbeat silence then you have *much worse*
problems than the Quarantine state.

-Endre

> Thanks,
>
> Daniel Armak
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Konrad Malawski <kt...@lightbend.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, for example if irrecoverable loss of system messages happens.
>> In general death watch on Actors using remoting can in failure scenarios
>> (see above) lead to a Quarantine.
>>
>> Note that Quarantine is irrecoverable, unlike "Unreachable" which is used
>> in the Cluster.
>> Short answer: Use the Cluster – it's more resilient.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Konrad 'ktoso’ Malawski
>> <http://akka.io>Akka <http://akka.io> @ Lightbend <http://typesafe.com>
>> <http://lightbend.com>
>>
>> On 24 February 2016 at 17:53:16, Daniel Armak (danar...@gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I use akka-remoting (not cluster), and I don't send any
>> PossiblyHarmful messages (so no remote actor creation or watching), can the
>> association ever be quarantined?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Daniel Armak