As far as my experience with RabbitMQ goes they provide which will start a
loop thread and a handler function should be specified.
*RMQ Java client:* https://www.rabbitmq.com/java-client.html

Your handler function will just forward the message to your intended actor,
and your handler should have a reference to the RMQ client so when your
actor stops your handler also stops (Life-cycle)
The only challenge there you will face is if you implement some sort of ack.

Anyway when I google "akka rmq" I found
this http://www.lightbend.com/activator/template/rabbitmq-akka-stream among
other interesting projects.

HTH,