Hi Emily,

If an actor is blocking a thread and never returns it to the ActorSystem
cannot do much about it, and if you try to terminate the ActorSystem it
will never complete terminating.

Blocking a thread could be actual processing that never stops or just takes
a very long time, being stuck reading or writing some blocking resource,
etc. You should be able to see what is going on by connecting to the JVM
and taking a thread dump - this should show at least one thread having a
call stack into one of your actors.

--
Johan Andrén
Akka Team, Lightbend Inc.