In terms of level of abstraction Akka Streams are "like Iterator" ;-)
They're not as high level as you might expect them to be it seems to me.

They're a building block, using which, and Sink/Source to Actors you can
integrate the two.
The root cause of the rift there is that Actor semantics do not express
back-pressure directly,
so if you want to rely back-pressure (the core concept of Akka Streams) you
need to put
in more work on that boundary anyway – the Actor must speak the

One should also note that Akka Persistence is specifically designed for _event
sourcing_.
It's not like your Akka app must use Akka Persistence – for example using a
Kafka Sink or other database Sink is perfectly acceptable too.
If you know you need event-sourcing, then Akka Persistence fits very well, and
yeah – you'd connect there via actor refs.

--
Konrad `ktoso` Malawski
Akka @ Lightbend