Thanks, Giovanni. That was precisely the problem and while I didn't see the
article you quoted, I "fixed" the problem on my end by having my client use
a Source.fromFuture of a promise which I didn't complete.  I'll switch to
using the approach in the article you referenced.  Still, I think there
will be lots of people who may use the web socket client in the
documentation as a starting point. They will expect that the client will
continue to display messages received from the service while the client is
running.  I think the example should either a) document that the client
closes after processing a single message and how to make it maintain the
web socket connection open, or better, in my opinion, b) use Source.maybe
to ensure the connection doesn't close.

On a related note, if the web socket server side is implemented using
akka-http, the example still closes the connection after 1 minute due to
the server side's not having gotten any TCP packets over the connection.
The documentation should either a) include a description of how to change
this timeout or b) have the client include heartbeat logic to keep the
connection alive.

-- Eric