That's correct - streams are fully typed and we're pretty proud of that :)

One difference I'd like to highlight though is that Streams don't directly
"replace" Actors.
In many cases they do, for local processing pipelines etc. However Streams
(any
reactive streams implementation in fact) don't solve the distribution
aspect – that's where Actors excel at.

By distribution I mean features like Cluster Sharding for example:
http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/current/scala.html
So all distributed systems bits are still best served by Actors, however
all their local bits can often be solved by Streams.

Hope this helps.
You may also like this talk from Scala Matsuri, where I talk a bit around
some of these questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlli4LCLmzM

--
Konrad `ktoso` Malawski