The problem is that to be able to restart and join a node with the same
hostname and port the cluster must first remove the old incarnation. The
downing of the old incarnation is triggered by the new join attempt, but
the actual removal can't be done until all unreachable have been downed. In
this scenario you still have node3 lingering around as unreachable and
hindering the removal of node2.

This is before WeaklyUp is involved. node2 is not accepted to join until
the old incarnation is removed.

It will work if you restart both node2 and node3.

It will also work if you use another port for node2 when restarting it.

I don't have a simple solution for supporting this scenario.

/Patrik

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Akka Team <akka.offic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> There might be something not working around new incarnations of the same
> node (same host and port) rejoining and weakly up, not quite sure if it is
> supposed to work. I can confirm that downing two nodes of a three node
> cluster, and have a new incarnation of one of them rejoining the cluster
> does not seem to work. I'll look into this and see if it might be a bug.
>
> However, here is a sample that shows weakly up working as expected,
> downing a node so it becomes unreachable, and then joining a new node:
> https://gist.github.com/johanandren/04c4720c917bad167169f73abe68da03
> --
> Johan
> Akka Team