Hi all,

First off, let me thank everyone here for their time and energy spent
making Akka the amazing toolset it is today.

Following the Akka developer survey I answered today, I realized I wanted
to contribute to Akka and decided to just do it. Since I'm too much of a
novice in the details of Akka to solve any open issues and have not had
enough experience contributing to large open-source projects in the past, I
decided to start off small and contribute documentation.
My idea was to contribute more code samples to the Custom Directives
<http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.4.9/scala/http/routing-dsl/directives/custom-directives.html>

page of akka-http to make modifiers more easy to understand.

The friction involved in the process of contributing made me abandon my
attempt. I'd like to share my experience:

I decided which three lines of code I wanted to contribute. Then I went
into the doc page itself and looked for a "contribute" / "edit" / etc.
button or the well known "fork me on github" button. None exists. Huh.
As an aside, I knew the docs were on GitHub (basing this on a conversation
I had with Konrad back in Scala Days Berlin) but found no indicator that
this was the case on the page itself.

I went to Akka's GitHub repo and found CONTRIBUTING.MD. I was greeted by a
huge wall of text. I searched for "doc" and found the part talking about
documentation contribution (I guess?) with a list of requirements and no
examples or references (and a confusing last two paragraphs). The
references that did exist were to tools: RST and Sphinx. Not sure about
whether I need to learn either. I'm great with Markdown, does that help?
Also I need to start writing tests for my three lines of code?

OK let's try to move forward - contributing can't be that hard. Next I
decided to just see where the actual docs existed so I searched the repo
for "Custom Directives" which raised too many results and then
"Configuration Labeling" (a subheader) which showed two results for docs,
one for Scala and one for Java. I have to write my sample code in both?
this wasn't mentioned anywhere.
Reading the source of the file (custom-directives.rst) made me realize
samples were imported from external files. Where do I put mine?

I forked the repo, looked at my clock, realized 20 minutes have already
passed and that I have achieved almost nothing and decided I didn't have
any more time for this.

I'm sure you can empathize with my frustration, since all I wanted to do
was contribute three lines of code that would have made great strides
towards explaining something to a new user coming across the official docs.
I know I would have been super happy to see them when I first met that page.

Now I realize things are complicated - you want to verify all code,
maintain standards and so on, and I applaud your work - but we have to find
a better way to do it.

My dream docs contribution process? An in-place editor (wiki-style) where
after I add / change code, I wait for the code to compile (online) and my
tests to run (in a sandbox, of cource) and if they all do, it gets sent to
a moderator for approval (opens a pull request behind the scenes?). If only
text changed, it just opens that pull request.

I'll probably try contributing the samples anyway, but I'll wait until I
have maybe an hour or two to spend on it.

HTH,
Omer