Now that i'm finally getting the hang of creating routes for akka http i'm
discovering that I need a good way to organize everything. What is the
recommended way to organize custom directives for routes into different
files (specifically in Java)?

Ideally i'd like to be able to define custom directives that handle
processing of my REST API in an increasingly more complex fashion. So the
primary route will capture large buckets of url's based on a sub-system and
then hand off the additional work to other directives defined in other
classes for further processing. However from what I can tell this isn't
possible, is it?

If I put everything in one file I am afraid it's going to get crazy out of
hand with thousands of lines of code and possibly hundreds (ouch!) of
directives and the class structure of AllDirectives is a little unnerving
since it's one massive chain of single inheritance. That means i'd have to
constantly be refactoring my chain of inheritance in order to add new
systems to the API (more ouch!).

How does everyone handle this organization?

Jean-Philippe