Dear hakkers,

Today, we are proud and happy to announce the immediate availability of the
fully stable version of Akka HTTP – 10.0.0, charmingly code named “X” by
@jonas on gitter!

Please note that while the version number changed significantly, the actual
surface APIs did not by much. The akka-http-core module was already stable
back in Akka 2.4, so it remained binary compatible, and the sources for
akka-http are almost completely compatible with those that were shipped as
Akka 2.4.11 – you should not have any trouble upgrading.

>From here-on the Akka HTTP releases will respect binary compatibility, as
expected from stable Akka modules. We will also try out a novel way of
introducing new APIs, by shipping them in the stable modules however
marking them as “experimental” or “not-sure-if-we-keep-them” so you’d be
able to opt-in into those on a case-by case basis. This idea is under
discussion in the Consider @Experimental / @ApiMayChange markers on APIs
<https://github.com/akka/akka-http/issues/438> issue on github.

Along with the new version, and stability of all of the modules, we expect
the community to quickly catch up with releasing the various support
projects for the new version, such as akka-http-cors
<https://github.com/lomigmegard/akka-http-cors>, akka-sse
<https://github.com/hseeberger/akka-sse>, akka-http-session
<https://github.com/softwaremill/akka-http-session>, akka-json
<https://github.com/hseeberger/akka-http-json>. This includes cross
releases for Scala 2.12, for which Akka HTTP is now available as well.
Documentation

The documentation <http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka-http/current> is available
under a separate directory under doc.akka.io, and will follow the following
scheme: doc.akka.io/docs/akka-http/[version]/, the usual “current” symlink
is also available and we recommend using that if linking to Akka
documentation from external sites such as stack overflow or blogs.

The documentation has moved to the Lightbend Paradox
<https://github.com/lightbend/paradox> tool, which allows us to write
documentation using extended markdown, instead of restructuredtext which we
found was making it difficult for first time contributors. Thanks a lot,
@jonas <https://github.com/jonas>, who contributed the biggest part of the
conversion!

We are currently working on a redesign of the documentation pages, so they
will soon get a shiny new look. Please bear with us during the transition
period. Other projects, like Alpakka, Reactive Kafka have also already
adopted Paradox, and Akka itself will soon follow as well. We will be able
to provide very interesting features thanks to Paradox, keep your eyes
peeled for them soon.

As always, help is very welcome, and if you find a part of the
documentation you’d like to see improved, please open tickets or send in
pull requests
<https://github.com/akka/akka-http/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md> directly,
thanks in advance!
Versioning

Akka HTTP from here-on will be versioned separately from Akka “core”. The
original purpose of these projects sharing their version number was that
Akka HTTP was evolving and providing many real-world requirements for the
Akka Streams implementation, thus they were developed together. Now that
both projects are stable, we want to be able to move them more
independently.

The version scheme will follow semantic versioning, breaking changes will
only be made in major releases (i.e. the next one being 11.0.0). However we
will also introduce a new way of marking experimental APIs released inside
existing modules – for a discussion on this please see the issue
akka/akka-http#3 <https://github.com/akka/akka-http/issues/3>.

The -experimental suffix has now been dropped for all of Akka HTTP’s
module. During the transition period make sure not to transitively depend
on old artifacts that still carry the suffix (like akka-http-experimental).
Otherwise, you could end up with multiple versions of the same classes on
the classpath.

This version of Akka HTTP depends on Akka *2.4.14*, since some critical
fixes and improvements were made in the recent version of Akka.
Community

We consider ourselves very lucky that we have such vibrant and helpful
community around Akka, and Akka HTTP specifically. In recent months we
started to include more community members in our github teams for the
various projects (reactive-kafka <https://github.com/akka/reactive-kafka>,
alpakka <https://github.com/akka/alpakka>, akka-http), and plan on
continuing to do so. If you’re interested in becoming part of our extended
teams, please read: Akka HTTP - stable, growing and tons of opportunity
<https://github.com/akka/akka-meta/issues/27> on akka-meta and keep hakking
:-)
Credits

A total 22 issues were closed since the last release candidate, most of the
work has been fixes, stability improvements and preparing for the upcoming
stable release.

The complete list of closed issues since the split from Akka 2.4.11 can be
found on the 3.0.0-RC1
<https://github.com/akka/akka-http/milestone/1?closed=1>, 10.0.0-RC2
<https://github.com/akka/akka-http/milestone/16?closed=1>, 10.0.0
<https://github.com/akka/akka-http/milestone/14?closed=1> as well as the HTTP/2
PoC <https://github.com/akka/akka-http/milestone/9?closed=1> milestones on
github.

For this release we had the help of 23 committers – thank you! We continue
to be amazed by the steady stream of contributions from you all!

commits  added  removed
     89   5496      961 Johannes Rudolph
     32   2584      798 Konrad Malawski
     28  23505    25369 Jonas Fonseca