I see that TestActorRef is not an option with PersistentActor

http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.4.1/scala/testing.html#Synchronous_Unit_Testing_with_TestActorRef

This is not the clearest paragraph, but perhaps provides an option:

"It may also be required during testing, when the test subject depends on
being instantiated at a specific path. In that case it is best to mock its
supervisor so that it will forward the Terminated message to the
appropriate point in the test procedure, enabling the latter to await
proper deregistration of the name."
http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/current/general/addressing.html#Reusing_Actor_Paths

Only other thing I can think of is to use akka-persistence-query APIs to
check the event store, but that's not exactly testing recover.

Thanks for any other ideas.