That is how I've implemented it finally. Just store messages and restore
them when the result would become clear. The actor performs some data
management, so it should have confidence in own state before it could
proceed further messages.

But reducing actor activity to just message shuffling is is a little bit
discomfortable. Keeping messages in the common mailbox looks more
consistent but also more hazardous: it brings possibility of buffer overrun
to the mailbox instead of just an actor. All the worries are from akka
lacking built-in backpressure control. So you need to reinvent it to some
extent.