One option, which may not be feasible depending on your use case, is to
simply replay *all* events from scratch, rebuilding current state on the
fly when needed.  If you can configure enough retention on your Kafka
cluster, it's an option.

Another is to keep periodic snapshots so that you have a more recent
starting point.  You start at the last snapshot, apply all events since the
snapshot and end up with current state.

This is how both Akka Persistence and Kafka's new log compaction are meant
to work.