The xls thread has nothing to do with akka at all. It just runs in the same
vm as our akka cluster. But it took resources so that akka didn't get
heartbeat messages in time.

Other parts of the application created akka remoting messages as normal. We
send a few events across every second, small messages around 10-20 per
second.

On Sat, 6 May 2017, 17:06 Patrik Nordwall, <patrik.nordw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Was the file sent over Akka remoting (actor messages), or generated other
> messages that were sent over remoting?
>
> /Patrik
> mån 24 apr. 2017 kl. 08:56 skrev Idar Borlaug <idar.borl...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> We are using akka 2.4.11. I have an jetty web application with 3 members
>> in an akka cluster.
>>
>> When someone uploaded an excel file and i tried to read it with apache
>> poi. new XSSFWorkbook(inputstream), the akka cluster disconnected and
>> didn't reconnect before we restarted the jetty process.
>> the excel file had 1 mill empty row so it took well over a minute to read
>> the file.
>>
>> The problem i am having is how one such upload can stop akka heartbeats
>> from being sent? We are using vmware esx some version with 6 cpus. Should
>> be plenty of cpu power on the server. Other processes were running fine.
>>
>> I have changed the failuredetector:
>> cluster.failure-detector.threshold = 16
>>
>> Are we doing something wrong?
>> --